Thursday, November 11, 2004

it's my write

in october 2001 i gave up a job in hi tech.

true, the writing was on the wall for the company i was at, but at that point my job was still there, i just didnt want it. i needed a break. i took redundancy pay and decided to travel.

my literal traveling was for four months but the journey into the rest of my life is three years and counting.

it is not my intention to present a full account and analysis but i describe the main motif as:
trying to find out who i am; what i want to do; what i can do; and to follow my instinct as best as i can.

one strand of this journey of self-discovery has been my writing.


i was always the scientist of the family - other family members had the literature and dramatics specialities covered. five years ago i began performing stand up comedy (a story that deserves its own blog post) but when i was traveling i discovered a desire to write and document. i spent four months with notebook by my side and wrote in-depth and may i say even insightful (if long) travelogues home to friends and family.

i wont pretend that since then i've had this meteroic rise to fame as author extraordinaire but it lit the spark

its been baby steps -- a couple of travelwriting gigs, a newspaper article about my comedy, several freelance grantwriting jobs. the point is i've discovered something i can do and that if i choose to i can nurture.

and one key step in my process has been realizing that just as with my comedy where i dont want to organize the event i just want to perform.... i dont want to be the organizer, coordinator or manager facilitating others at work anymore either.

so thats why i'm really excited to say that i just got my first full time writing job! it's where i'm working already and its mostly grant writing with some descriptive pieces but it's 100% writing!

i feel really good about it... and this blog... and the comedy i will be performing in a couple of weeks time (organized by somebody else - yay!) because it just seems right and where i'm supposed to be...

just for today

want to read my travelogues? check out the special blog i set up: less than 32 and traveling.
interested in nurturing your own talents and creativity? read this book: the artists way